Learning more names

I was perusing the Vogue Knitting Book the other night looking for examples of non-rectangular graphs when I ran across a handy term: “symbolcraft”. Vogue uses that word to refer to what seems to be the most popular method of drawing knitting graphs (a method which I have not yet implemented in the cable grapher). This is the style where right-side knits are represented with a vertical line and right-side purls are represented with a horizontal line. I think this weekend I’ll sit down and enter the glyphs needed to generate that kind of graph so that people will have a choice of which type to use. This is one of the improvements that was suggested by the folks over at Interweave Press when I contacted them about the grapher.

So, I’ve got a name for that system now. That helps in finding out more about it. Unfortunately, according to Google more people use symbolcraft to refer to a graphics site or general artsy stuff than use it to talk about knitting. But, at least it’s a start. And it turns out that the Vogue Knitting Book has a fair number of glyphs in it already that I can use.

Also, thank you very much Mendy for posting this URL in the comments: http://www.geocities.com/mendy3273/misc/CandleFlameShawlChart.jpg. That is almost exactly what I want the grapher to generate once it’s working correctly.

What else… this week’s been very dark and stormy in San Antonio. It’s not helping my mood a whole lot. I haven’t been able to get out and ride and so I’ve been feeling sluggish and irritable all week. I fell into a bad pattern around Tuesday: I woke up groggy, managed to stagger out to my car with all my clothes on, sat in front of a computer all day, then went home and fumbled about the apartment restlessly until I finally fell asleep.

This morning I interrupted the daily hunt around the apartment for clean underwear by busting out my rollers and riding the bike inside for about twenty minutes. Nothing really spectacular, but I worked up a sweat and it helped wake me up. I feel much better this morning.

It’s better sweaty. Hee hee.

No Responses to “Learning more names”

  1. David Says:

    :-)

  2. Stacey Says:

    So does that mean you opted to break tradition, get sweaty and go commando?

  3. kbsalazar Says:

    I’m not exactly sure what you mean by non-rectangular graphs. Perhaps do you mean graphs on which the stitch count changes row to row? If so, most of the more complex ones cheat and use blank, inked out or otherwise denoted “no stitch” squares to make the rest of the pattern line up visually. There’s a good example of this in the Lily of the Valley Cable chart I did that’s posted on wiseNeedle:

    http://www.wiseneedle.com/patternpage.asp?pattern=knitpatlily

    You’ll see that the stitch count is far from stable row to row. Also to make the thing easier to follow from a logical standpoint, I chose to make certain elements line up row to row. That meant that there were large splotches that had to be filled in with “no stitch” squares.

    I’ve fiddled with instant prose to graph translation utilities myself and am very interested in seeing how you solve problems. Among the ones I found were an inability to parse the “no stitch” squares properly (as you are wrestling with right now);and that even prose directions are far from standardized in format or nomenclature. Unless I did a tedious hand brush-up first, changing things like (k2,p2)3x into kkppkkppkkpp I wasn’t able to get a good translation.

    Best wishes for success with this project! Knitting may be a binary code subject to top down design syntax and iterative subprocesses but it’s amazing how difficult it can be to render as such.