I worked a little bit on a swatch for the kilt hose last night. I found what my gauge is (7st. per inch), but I found that the cables I’d planned to do weren’t to my liking. I was trying to get a cable effect without using a cable needle – I did a left-leaning cross by inserting the right-hand needle into the back of the second stitch on the left-hand needle, knitting it but not slipping it off, then knitting the first stitch normally and sliding both off. This crosses the two stitches, but it also twists the stitch that’s being crossed over. The result is not very aesthetically pleasing for me.
So I think I’m going to go with a cable worked with a cable needle after all. I think I’m going to give the John Anderson’s Kilt Hose pattern a shot.